ev Transportation Services Inc.
ev Transportation Services Inc. (“evTS”) develops and manufactures purpose built, all-electric light duty commercial vehicles and fleet management solutions.
Founded in 2015 and based in Boston, the company is focused on producing vehicles that meet the needs of the essential services transportation and urban mobility markets. End-user applications for evTS vehicles include services such as security, parking enforcement, last mile urban delivery, building and grounds maintenance, meter reading, sanitation, university and corporate campuses, and warehouse operations.
The FireFly ESV(R)
The company’s flagship product is the FireFly ESV(R), a low-maintenance, high-performance, lightweight electric utility vehicle specifically designed to meet the needs of essential services users. The FireFly ESV utilizes the safest Lithium Ion battery technology available (LiFePO4, Lithium Iron Phosphate) for superior acceleration, improved energy efficiency and enhanced reliability. As a result, it boasts a range of 100+ miles on a single charge, further than any other electric vehicle in its class.
Additionally, using an extensive choice of rear-bed accessory options, its design can be modified according to the requirements of virtually any task and application, from parking enforcement and security to property and grounds maintenance, last mile urban delivery, on-campus tasks and more.
The ideal parking specific vehicle (PSV), FireFly can be equipped with features that enable parking enforcement officers to do their jobs more effectively, significantly reducing operating costs while fully integrating with existing parking enforcement systems, including advanced license plate recognition programs. Key design features of the FireFly ESV that are critical for the successful execution of parking control tasks include:
- High maneuverability with a tight turning radius and slim design, allowing the vehicle to maneuver on narrow streets and park in compact urban environments;
- Electronically governed speeds of up to 50 mph in just seconds, allowing operators to quickly enter and keep up with fast moving traffic;
- Full-height DuraGlide(TM) doors and low steps allowing for rapid ingress and egress on both sides of the vehicle;
- Superior impact protection featuring an integrated safety cage and seatbelts;
- A modular bed design allowing users to include a lockable or sectional bed to make room for boots, parking cones and other equipment; and
- Friendly size and appearance, helping change the public’s perception of parking enforcement efforts.
Specifically designed for flexible and quiet operation at low speeds, the FireFly ESV is an ideal vehicle for security and perimeter patrol tasks in different environments, including cities, office buildings, retail malls, prisons and educational institutions. With a range of 100+ miles, it allows security officers to patrol for the duration of an entire shift before returning to dispatch to recharge, thus generating savings compared to fuel-powered patrol vehicles. Key features that give the FireFly ESV a significant edge over its competition in security applications include:
- Agility and speed, allowing officers to provide rapid response and engage in light pursuit at speeds exceeding 50 mph;
- Comfort and security for the driver with the help of its tubular 2” steel roll cage and three-point safety harness;
- High maneuverability with a 20+ degree approach angle and 6” of curb clearance, along with a tight turning radius; and
- Low energy, high intensity lighting features for traffic control while idle for several hours.
Property and Grounds Maintenance
As a durable, customizable vehicle with minimal environmental impact, the FireFly ESV can be used for a wide range of maintenance operations on sidewalks and in recreation areas on a daily basis. Key features include:
- A customizable modular design allowing the vehicle to be built according to use specific maintenance requirements, with features such as a sectional bed, an electronic lift dump, a refuse hauler, a van box, a utility bed with locking compartments and ladder racks, and other cleaning, sweeping or watering accessories;
- A strong tubular steel frame and robust suspension design including the company’s proprietary DuraSteer(TM) front end featuring best-in-class anti-dive control and 1,100 pounds of payload capacity; and
- A light, three-wheel design offering a tight turning radius and a small footprint, allowing FireFly to maneuver in landscaped areas, navigate around pylons and bollards, and operate in narrow corridors, indoors or out.
Last Mile Urban Delivery
Designed for short-range trips with stop-and-go driving, the 100% Electric FireFly ESV is ideal for delivery services in crowded urban environments, being able to accommodate anything from small packages and food delivery to spare parts, medical deliveries and more. Key features that make the vehicle a top choice for delivery services include:
- More cargo space and hauling power than its competitors, due to its modular bed design and 1,100-pound payload capacity;
- Speed and efficiency, as a fully licensable and street legal vehicle that can reach governed speeds of up to 50 mph;
- Durability and maneuverability, making it a valuable addition to any delivery service’s vehicle fleet; and
- Exceptionally low cost of operation, as a virtually maintenance-free vehicle with long-lasting battery power.
The Firefly ESV 2021 Model
On September 15, 2020, the company announced the new 2021 model of its Firefly ESV vehicle. This model will retain all of its predecessor’s original components, with added features for the new 2021 line. The upgrades and new features include, but are not limited to:
- Larger door for easier vehicle access;
- More legroom within the cab;
- Improved visibility through the redesigned windshield;
- New rear bed accessory options can better accommodate specific service industries; and
- An optional trailer hitch with electronic braking control.
Each vehicle will also be equipped with the evTS Connected Vehicle System, which includes in-vehicle Wi-Fi, an internet-accessible vehicle management system, the ability to perform remote diagnostics, low battery alerts and optional 360-degree video monitoring that runs in real-time.
In a news release, David Solomont, CEO of evTS, stated, “The 2021 FireFly is our best and most advanced model yet and will enable evTS to fill the critical and rapidly expanding need for essential service vehicles, particularly for last-mile on-demand urban delivery vehicles.”
Deal with ADOMANI
In April 2020, ADOMANI Inc. (OTCQB: ADOM) signed a letter of intent to purchase 120 FireFly ESV vehicles from evTS. Under the agreement, ADOMANI, a leading provider of zero-emission purpose-built electric vehicles and drivetrain solutions, serves as a distributor of current and future evTS electric vehicle offerings in the state of California.
In addition, ADOMANI may perform final assembly and testing activities of evTS vehicles, as well as warranty repair services, at its recently-opened assembly factory in Corona, California – a location that’s close to urban centers and a variety of terrains where the FireFly ESV can be utilized, according to ADOMANI COO Rick Eckert.
“The agreement with ADOMANI represents a major milestone for evTS, and we are excited to explore a partnership with them,” Solomont added. “Our FireFly ESV all-electric lightweight commercial utility vehicle is a perfect complement to their existing lineup of EVs, and we expect to significantly expand our sales in California and surrounding states based on the quality and reach of ADOMANI’s sales, service and support organization.”
Electric Vehicle Market
In 2019, the global electric vehicle market was valued at $162.34 billion. Registering a CAGR of 22.6%, the market is projected to reach $802.81 billion by 2027, according to an Allied Market Research report (https://nnw.fm/JAMbl).
Essential services fleet vehicles represent a replacement market of approximately 100,000 vehicles. These vehicles roughly translate to a $2.5-billion market opportunity each year.
David Solomont is the Founder and CEO of evTS. He has over 40 years of experience in information technology, software and interactive media. He is an active investor and advisor to early-stage tech companies. Solomont has a bachelor’s degree in engineering from Tufts University and a master’s degree in management from MIT’s Sloan School.
Greg Horne is the Chief Technology Officer at evTS. He directs the company’s vehicle development efforts and is responsible for the new model year of the FireFly ESV being brought to market. He previously served as CTO of eFleets Corporation, worked on software and flight testing for the Bell/Boeing V-22 Osprey and served as a design engineer at Bell Helicopter.
Jim Sabitus is the company’s Vice President of Operations. He has experience as a corporate executive leading emerging and established publicly traded companies. Sabitus’ previous roles include CEO of Row One Brands Inc., CFO of Modern Shoe Company and various management roles at Converse Inc.
Paul Barrett is evTS’ Vice President of Marketing and Product. He is an experienced senior executive and serial entrepreneur with 45 years of experience in the automotive and electronics industries. His prior roles include serving as COO of Fixed Ops Pros, NavResearch and Cimble Corporation. Barrett also held numerous executive positions during his 20+ years at LoJack Corporation.
Eric Burmeister is the company’s Vice President of Sales and Business Development. He has held a number of positions within the specialized vehicle industry. Prior to joining evTS, he was the Director of National Sales and Business Development for Westward Industries. Burmeister also held national and regional sales positions for eFleets, Global Electric Motors and ZENN Motor Company.
Michael Tepfer is the company’s Vice President of Manufacturing Engineering. He is also the current president of Integrity Global Manufacturing Ltd. He has 30 years of experience in project management and oversight of overseas manufacturing businesses.
Todd Marcucci is evTS’ Director of Customer Satisfaction. He is a former Vice President of Research and Development for eFleets. He assembled and led a team that designed, supported and produced the original FireFly ESV. Marcucci has worked as a consultant for numerous projects related to electric vehicle powertrains.